brokeback mountain - another review.

Still haven't gotten around to writing my review, but here's a really good one from Tom Coates.

I think he's right, but I think there has to be a special resonance for gay people in watching a film in which same-sex love and its complexities are so well represented. It's a rare occurence at all, let alone at this quality. I'm sure many people believe that gay people are as equal as everyone else and as free to operate in the world and do as they please as straight couples. But it's not true - while watching the fear on Heath Ledger's face about being exposed and revealed, I could see the anxiety on the face of an ex-boyfriend about any display of affection in public. He lived in fear of public hassle or approbrium - a fear that I'd like to say was unjustified, but cannot. My own lack of fear is probably more an artifact of years of anger and frustration than it is because I experience no threat. There's something here that's still more resonant today than many people understand.

About this entry