recently reviewed: west

A long time in the making, last night I had the opportunity to go to West. Named one of the “ten of the best, worldwide” feature in the UK Sunday Independent, October 2005, it was on my list of Vancouver restaurants to visit. Another reason to visit was because I wanted to rub shoulders with Goldie and Kurt (apparently they are regular patrons), however they were not to be seen.

The room was tasteful, the service was understated and the food, well fantastic. When I go to restaurants like West, I pay attention to all the little details, and this is what this restaurant did well. Little things like the complimentary appetizers and after dinner chocolates, compliments of the chef. The bread sweeper, the fact that the server wiped some of the mint gazpacho served tableside with my lobster appetizer off my bowl -- these things count to me. It was upscale but not pretensious. Oh and it always helps that the staff were easy on the eyes too.

All in all, last night was probably one of best meals I've had this year in Vancouver. There's a long list of other restaurants that I would like to check out, but I'll definitely be back to West, especially if it is for a special ocassion.

About this entry