ask randy: packing for paris in the spring.

Hi Randy,

This is a girlie question. We're going to France for a couple of weeks
in May - Paris and the south of France. To celebrate the occasion, I
want to buy a spring jacket, a pair of shoes and a pair of jeans. I
want something stylish that I can wear day-to-day in France and the
shoes HAVE to be comfortable to do lots of walking. What do you
recommend?

Thanks...Yvette.


Great question...first of all, I envy you -- I wish I could go to Paris...in the Spring -- how fabulous of you.

Anyways here are my tips:
1. Spring Jacket.
I am assuming the weather in Paris is like here so I would think the first thing too rememember is to layer, so you'll be able to add and subtract at will. In terms of a jacket, why not go for a cute, shrunken corduroy jacket, in a neutral or brown tone -- this will be able to take you anywhere. If you want to be very current, another option is a belted corduroy trench in a sand or tan color. Both jackets will be able to be dressed up or dressed down.

2. Shoes.
The operative word here is plural. You can't just bring one! But if you must, I would say you should bring 3 pairs. A pair of casual kicks (like puma or addidas) to go with your jean look, a pair of versatile heels for the nights out, and a pair of brown boots that will take you to all of the galleries if you can spare the room.

3. Jeans.
Think dark denim, in a very solid wash, straight cut and low rise, but not low riding. The dark colour makes them dressy enough when paired with a printed silk blouse and your new corduroy shrunken jacket.

Have lots of red wine and baguettes and make sure you go to the Louvre!

About this entry